to the quiet voice of God.
Opening the door to this journey can start with the Men’s Rites of Passage (MROP) retreat. This retreat can help awaken men to the adventure and mystery of their own masculinity, their deep spirituality, their potential for leadership, and their life’s purpose.
Living a shallow unexamined life is an empty experience. The Journey of Illumination begins with the age-old traditions that teach the five things every man needs to learn before he can fully engage in the adventure and mystery life will bring. MROP opens the door to the adventure.
The retreat is a five-day / four night, deeply prayerful and soulful experience that builds on the classic patterns of male initiation through simple and moving rituals and teaching. Each day includes participating in group prayer, major teachings on central masculine spirituality themes, quiet time for reflection, and sharing in the context of a “home group.”
Men are asked to come with a willingness to participate from beginning to end and not as an observer. All participants begin at point zero with no agendas to live up or down to. All that is required is for a man to come with a “beginner’s mind” and the readiness of a young novice seeking wisdom. Initiation, like life itself, is not a spectator’s sport.
This is not about religion but about spirituality, about age old traditions that guide us into manhood, about coming to trust that there is something much greater at work in our lives than we could ever imagine.
WHAT IS MROP?
- A personal discovery about masculine spirituality and “the Holy Mystery.”
- A time to savor the healing and awesome power of nature.
- A process to address issues of loss, grief, and relationships with our father, other men, and others.
- An opportunity to examine life’s priorities and ask courageous questions about your next step.
- An invitation to listen to the quiet voice of God.
- A chance to return to life with a renewed commitment to your gifts.
- A traditional lecture-based retreat.
- An informational workshop about men’s spirituality.
- A sensitivity training or deprivation experience.
- A threatening process that requires participants to engage in anything strange or unsafe.
- A test of physical stamina.
It is a 5-day life changing program for men devised by Richard Rohr OFM which has been undertaken by over 5000 men across the world.
This is not about religion, but about spirituality. About age-old traditions that guide men into manhood. About coming to trust that there is something much greater at work in your life than you could ever imagine. Taking you sometimes OUT of your comfort zones, but more deeply back into your own life.
During the 5 days you will be held by an experienced team of male elders who have all previously undertaken the Rites themselves. As the Elders take you through the process of the Rites you will experience drumming, ritual, fire, silence, small groups, wilderness, solo-time, teaching … and more.
The Men’s Rites of Passage are suitable for men of all color, age, sexuality, ethnicity and faith tradition (or no faith); men with more severe physical disabilities are asked to get in touch for further advice.
The Rites in 2018
See a list of all the MROPs taking place throughout the States and the world here.
Below is a listing of Men’s Rites of Passage opportunities for 2018 in the United States and beyond. Additional international opportunities may be posted in the coming months so please check back often.
Men’s Rites of Passage for 2018
Arizona Men’s Rites of Passage
April 25 – April 29, 2018
Aravaipa Canyon, Arizona
Contact: Al Selder
New Mexico Men’s Rites of Passage in partnership with Texas Chapter
May 23 – 27, 2018
Ghost Ranch, New Mexico
Contact: Bruce Clay
United Kingdom Men’s Rites of Passage
July 25 – 29, 2018
Contact: Brian McMullen
Illinois Men’s Rites of Passage
August 8 – 12, 2018
Pilgrim Park, Illinois
Contact: Bob Colaresi
Australia Men’s Rites of Passage
August 21 – 25, 2018
Contact: Steve Freeman
New York Men’s Rites of Passage
September 5 – 9, 2018
Frost Valley, New York
Contact: Michael Dunne
Czech Republic Men’s Rites of Passage
September 12 – 16, 2018
Contact: Pavel Hrdina
Read how the MROP has changed men’s lives here > Our Blog
The Journey Of Illumination
We are now men transforming men through a power greater than ourselves. We are seeking a life changing spirituality. Our primary concern is inner work that makes a difference in the world. We are fed by the wisdom traditions of forgiveness and radical inclusivity. Our work recovers traditional patterns of male initiation, affirms a masculine path to healing, reveals the true and false self and honours the path of descent. We do this through the power of ritual, image, story and council. These are our five touchstones:
- Centering – we are men grounded in the power of the here and now (e.g. your regular spiritual practice).
- Gathering – we are men who listen deeply to each other’s stories (e.g. your engagement in men’s groups and networks).
- Connecting – we are men who choose another to walk with – shoulder to shoulder (e.g. mentoring, coaching and spiritual guidance).
- Releasing – We are men who let go of the ways that no longer serve us (e.g. setting-down reviews and rituals).
- Serving – we are men who honour the earth and serve the whole human community (e.g. your service to others).
We seek to form future generations of men who will restore these practices – serving to build a world that celebrates the beauty of all beings.